Director of Administration – Calgary, AB
B&A Planning Group has an exciting opportunity for a Director of Administration to join and advise our senior management team and to play a leading role in supporting the ongoing evolution and growth of B&A. This newly created position will bolster our skilled team of planning professionals and day-to-day operations by adding additional leadership skills and strength in financial management, business administration, information systems and technology, and human resources within our firm.
This is a high impact opportunity for an individual that is seeking to leverage their broad business background into a senior and influential role. It offers the opportunity to be strategic while still being hands-on.
B&A is one of Western Canada’s leading and fastest growing professional community and land development planning firms. We have a twenty-seven-year track record of success in providing professional consulting services to a diverse range of public and private sector clients including individual landowners, developers, municipalities, and leading players in the aggregate and energy industry. With 40+ employees, B&A has performed over 2200 projects for more than 200 clients in Alberta, Saskatchewan and British Columbia.
Our passion is to create better communities, together.
The Director of Administration’s primary responsibility will be to oversee all the functions that support the core planning operations of the organization, including:
- All Administration functions including office management of the downtown Calgary office and one satellite office in Edmonton
- The Finance and IT areas, ensuring that the capture and reporting of information is timely, efficient, accurate and meaningful. Reviewing business operations relating to financial management that will inform the decision-making processes of SMT for a very dynamic and fast-growing organization. Leading the implementation of new systems and processes.
- The Human Resources function and representation of the firm in all personnel-related matters, as well as the development of corporate policies and procedures. Ensuring that adequate performance and compensation models are in place to foster staff development and growth.
- Advise on financial/business best practices
- Provide current personnel, financial and operational performance updates
- Identify budget variances, prevailing trends and overall resource capacity issues
- Suggest potential areas of improvements for efficiency and information flows
- Help prepare and monitor the organizational budget, approve daily financial expenditures, and review the weekly and monthly cash flow of the organization
- Work with accounting staff to oversee invoicing, expenses, prepare reports, monitor banking and oversee petty cash
- Liaise with accounting experts to ensure fiscal, regulatory and tax compliance
- Manage four direct reports, optimizing their duties and responsibilities
- Manage all aspects of daily office operations and ensure a comfortable, clean, safe and healthy working environment
- Negotiate and oversee contracts and relationships with landlords, vendors, service providers, insurers, and others
- Review records management processes and systems, advise SMT and implement process adjustments as required for maximum efficiency and effectiveness.
- Oversee organizational IT, including service providers, network administration, the phone system, and individual workstations
- Lead the effective deployment of the time & project management system and the evaluation and implementation of a new, integrated, financial accounting software system
- Complete a business process review, advise SMT on assessment and implement process adjustments to optimize administrative, financial, communications, marketing and business development needs of B&A.
- Perform daily organizational HR administration, including new employee orientation, training, employee file maintenance, policy development, administration of benefits
- Ensure regulatory compliance and best practices with regards to privacy, security, and occupational safety and health
- Develop job descriptions as required and ensure that effective models are in place for compensation, training, professional development and accountability
- Liaise with external HR expertise for advice and to ensure utilization of best practices
Qualifications and Skill Requirements:
- Post-secondary degree in business administration, finance or related field is required
- 10 years of broad experience in business and administration with a minimum of 5 years in a management position
- Experience working with partnership structured organizations and/or professional services firms is required
- Direct experience in office management and overseeing the accounting function
- Able to confidently advise the senior management team on financial and business best practices
- Well versed in HR practices and business policies and procedures in general
- Excellent interpersonal and relationship building skills as well as excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Adept at contract management, negotiating and problem-solving
- Training in business performance improvement, business analysis or strategic planning would be considered an asset
The preferred candidate will be a confident self-starter and team player who will champion the organization’s vision. They will be committed to personal excellence and seeking a challenging opportunity where they can make a significant impact on the success of the organization. Salary and compensation package is competitive and commensurate with skills and experience.
Are you ready to grow your career? Apply Today
Please email your letter of application and your resume in a SINGLE PDF with Director of Administration in the subject line before Friday, June 22, 2018 to firstname.lastname@example.org